UPDATE 12-27-19: The issue of Chrome not opening seems to be related to two files called “Preferences” and “Network Persistent State” (maybe just Preferences) found in the home hidden directory .config/google-chrome/Default/ If I set these two files to be owned by root and not writable by my own login, then Chrome will open, but will not remember any extensions or settings I configured the last time I used Chrome. If I set the same files (via chmod and chown) to my login and permissions to read+write, then Chrome will not open. I just see the spinner on my cursor indicating it is trying to open, but then I have to kill the process via terminal. I sent this info to the Chrome developers via a popup in Chrome when it couldn’t read my Preferences.
UPDATE: Still no real explanation for why Chrome works fine for several months and then stopped. Also, no explanation for why some of these “fixes” work once or twice and then stop. If I start with a completely new profile, it will work again for a while. This makes me think there is some setting that is being changed that breaks it, but no idea what since it works fine and then suddenly won’t open.
Well, my “fix” worked once before doing the same behavior again. I have to find the process and harshly kill it.
ps -A|grep chrome
kill -9 process number
jw@JW-PC:~$ ps -A|grep chrome
9855 ? 00:00:00 chrome
9864 ? 00:00:00 chrome
9868 ? 00:00:00 chrome
9888 ? 00:00:00 chrome
9891 ? 00:00:00 chrome
jw@JW-PC:~$ kill -9 9855
I set my environment variable “MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE=true”, based on a Debian bug site statement, and that worked one time for opening Chrome. Thereafter it reverted to not opening at all. Frustrating!
To set the environment variable type this:
Another site said to start Chrome via terminal and type
google-chrome --disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer
That worked a few times, but then gave the error
ERROR:gpu_channel_manager.cc(450)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: Failed to create shared context for virtualization.
So I tried various other option flags that worked for others, but no luck for me.
Recently Chrome began acting up on my system, as in it simply would not open. The process was running, but it would not display. If I ran
google-chrome from a terminal, I saw an error about sandboxing:
ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(372)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
I used Firefox to go online and search for the error. I found a Debian bug site that mentioned that changing the configuration of the mesa graphic drivers could help. I was not able to find a config file for these drivers, but found that I could add the repository for the drivers and get the latest version. That fixed it for me.
Here is the site with info on adding the repository:
I went from version 19.0.8 to 19.2.1 and Chrome opened right up. Wish I’d seen this fix before blowing away my old profile…